What is Dry Needling?
Dry needling is a therapeutic technique in which a trained physical therapist inserts small, sterile filament needles into specific muscular trigger points which are creating pain and discomfort. This generates a twitch response, helping release muscle tension and pain. The technique is referred to as “Dry” Needling because there is no medication used. The needle and the effects it produces within the tissue are the treatment.
Who can benefit from Dry Needling
Patients with any musculoskeletal condition can benefit. Many people see results with issues they have struggled with for years.
Possible areas include:
• Achilles Tendonitis/Tendonosis
• Bunion Pain
• Carpal Tunnel Symptoms
• Cheek Pain
• Chronic Pain
• Cubital Tunnel Symptoms
• Ear Pain (not caused by an infection)
• Elbow Tendinitis tennis/golfers elbow
• Hand Pain
• Headaches Including Migraines, Frontal Headaches from Squinting/Sinuses, and Temporal Headaches
• Hip Flexor Tendinitis common in runners
• Iliotibial Band Syndrome
• Knee Pain
• Low Back Pain, Neck Pain, Shoulder Pain, and Thoracic Pain
• Muscular Strains/Ligament Sprains
• Patellar Tendonitis (Jumper's Knee)
• Patellofemoral Pain
• Peroneal Tendonitis
• Plantar Fasciitis & Deep Pain Associated with Plantar Fasciitis
• Piriformis Syndrome
• Rotator Cuff Tendonitis
• Shin Splints & Deep Pain Associated with Shin Splints
• SIJ Dysfunction
• TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) Symptoms
• Toe Pain & Finger Pain Due to Muscular Contractures, Overuse, & Tendonitis
• Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Symptoms
• Tooth Pain From Grinding Teeth/Sinuses, Pain in Teeth or Head During Eating, or Associated with Utilization of Splinting/Night Guards
.....and many other musculoskeletal issues
Benefits of Dry Needling
Dry Needling has shown improved muscle length, flexibility and decreased pain in patients. In the past, trigger point release was done manually through therapeutic massage. Dry Needling allows our therapist to achieve greater depth, precision and complete release of trigger points to help release and prevent pain, optimize performance and assist in injury recovery.
Trigger Point Dry Needling is typically performed in all of our clinics. Schedule a FREE SCREENING to see if you can benefit from Dry Needling Therapy.